Tornado Tube employs hydraulic principles to create the vortex of a tornado within a bottle. Connect 2 empty plastic soft drink bottles together, fill one of the bottles 2/3 full with water, turn it over, spin, and watch the tornado appear. The water is colored with our Colorations® Liquid Watercolor™. Note: Two-liter bottles not included.
PreK-K Core Standards
- SCI (P) Understand how life is affected because of weather conditions and make predictions.
- K-ESS3-2. Ask questions to obtain information about the purpose of weather forecasting to prepare for, and respond to, severe weather.
K-3 Core Standards
- K-PS2-2. Analyze data to determine if a design solution works as intended to change the speed or direction of an object with a push or a pull.*
- 2-PS1-4. Construct an argument with evidence that some changes caused by heating or cooling can be reversed and some cannot.
- 3-ESS3-1. Make a claim about the merit of a design solution that reduces the impacts of a weather-related hazard.
- K-ESS2-1. Use and share observations of local weather conditions to describe patterns over time.
- 2-ESS2-1. Compare multiple solutions designed to slow or prevent wind or water from changing the shape of the land.
- 3-ESS2-1. Represent data in tables and graphical displays to describe typical weather conditions expected during a particular season.